Yes, sung in my best Olaf the Snowman voice, I am belting out “In Summer!!” throughout the house.
Memorial Day signals the kick-off of summer. All things warm and sunshiney.
My summer memories are some of the best memories I have. Most of them go back to when I was a kid, running around barefoot, spending the day at the beach, afternoons at the pool, evenings running around playing kick the can and ghost in the graveyard.
The freedom of summer was wonderful. Everything was more relaxed. Eating outside made food taste more delicious. Salt air and sunshine put everyone in a good mood.
Summertime when you are a kid is the best. Being dismissed that last day of school, the summer months stretching out in front of you- did it get any better?
Even though I won’t be dismissed for a summer of fun, I still plan on giving my kids all the summertime experiences I loved when I was younger. Here is my 50 Must-Have Experiences of Summer for kids!
1. Spend the day at the beach. The WHOLE day. Pack sandwiches, snacks, extra clothes, beach toys, beverages…and don’t leave until the sun starts going down.
2. Go barefoot.
3. Collect shells.
4. Stay up late to catch fire-flies.
5. Make home-made lemonade.
6. Go blueberry picking.
7. Make blueberry pie.
8. Go to an amusement park and ride a roller coaster.
9. Eat watermelon out in the sun. See how far you can spit the seeds.
10. Have a water balloon fight.
11. Go to a waterslide.
12. Build a sandcastle.
13. Go to a state fair.
14. Go to a boardwalk and eat cotton candy/funnel cake/kettle corn.
15. Fly a kite.
16. Go for a bike ride.
17. Feed the ducks.
18. Swim in a lake.
19. Go fishing.
20. Hike to a waterfall.
21. Have a picnic in the park.
22. Build a bonfire and roast marshmallows.
23. Plant tomatoes and basil.
24. Make fresh salsa with your tomatoes and basil.
25. Make garden fairy houses.
26. Make a suncatcher.
27. Build a birdhouse.
28. Visit a farmers market.
29. Go to a baseball game. Take your mitt, might catch a ball!
30. Make mudpies.
31. Run through a sprinkler.
32. Climb a tree.
33. Stay up late and play ghost in the graveyard.
34. Build a fort.
35. Pitch a tent in the backyard. Have a back yard camp out.
36. Make fruit pops.
37. Have popsicles. Every day.
38. Look under rocks for bugs.
39. Lay on the ground and look up at the clouds.
40. Roll down a hill.
41. Go to a farm and get fresh milk.
42. Make homemade ice cream. From the old fashioned hand cranked ice cream maker.
43. Watch your neighborhood little league baseball games.
44. Play with bubbles.
45. Get a telescope and look at the stars.
46. Go for a boat ride.
47. Spend time with friends; have a sleep over.
48. Build a toy sailboat.
49. Don’t worry about getting messy and dirty. Take an outside shower.
50. Enjoy the daylight, the sunshine, the grass, the sand, the water, the laziness, of summer.
What would you add to this list?
Have a great crazy short pre-4th of July Holiday Weekend!