We all know nighttime, right? That time of night where you do things like….sleep. What’s that you say? You forget what it’s like to sleep at night?
Yeah, same here.
I have a 4 month old. And she SLEEPS FINE. Seriously- I am not lying and you can all be as mad at me as you want. She’s just a really lazy baby that loves to sleep at night.
But DO NOT WORRY.
I also have a 3 1/2 year old who has now decided that nighttime is for a whole host of activities, sleep not being one of them. Every night it’s something new. So, want a glimpse of nighttime in our household?
Here are 6 reasons I am awake in the middle of the night:
1. Reading to the animals: Yep, one of the main reasons I am awake is because 3M comes in to tell me she can’t find a certain book at 3am to read to her animals. Oh, and then 5 minutes later she comes back to tell me she can’t find her flashlight to be able to see when reading to her animals. Of course, she can’t read, so no amount of light is going to help her there.
2. Something is getting evicted. Apparently every once in a while 3M has a falling out with one of her precious animals that on a previous night she could not sleep without. Now there is no way she can sleep WITH it. And she can’t just throw it on the floor- it has to be completely OUT OF HER ROOM. Sometimes it can’t even be outside her door in the hallway. It has to be all the way downstairs- and she will check. When we used to lock her door at night (don’t judge), we would wake up to a number of books in the hallway that were slid under the door. Evicted.
3. She has to pee. She doesn’t need my help, she just wants me to know. Thank you. She’s practically sleep walking and falls back asleep in .5 seconds. I am now awake for the next hour. Usually it’s close enough to the time I need to get up for work that by the time I fall asleep, I only have 20 minutes before I actually need to get up, and I oversleep. Awesome.
4. Her covers are “off her body”. And while she doesn’t need help using the bathroom in the middle of the night, she absolutely CANNOT reach down and pull her covers back up and needs me to come do it for her. And she always has some special order her blankets need to go in, so it’s not just a pull a blanket up and be done with it. No, she needs the heart blanket first, and then the circle blanket and then the pink one and NOT the purple one. How is it that kids are ALWAYS throwing off their covers in the middle of the night? Someone needs to invent some sort of velcro-edged blanket and sheet set that will stay on through the night.
5. “I just want to dance!”. Yeah, this is a new one. A weepy 3M comes in all sad because all she wants to do is dance. I’m not sure what is going on in that little head of hers. I have a theory that it has something to do with the glow in the dark bracelets she got in her Easter Basket. She, even at 3 1/2, knows they are for middle of the night Rave events and thinks she should be dancing at 3am. Who put those in her Easter Basket anyways? Yeah, me. Who keeps giving them to her before she goes to bed? Hmmm. What is my problem?
6. Alligators. Yes, you read that right- alligators. We were at my parents house and her GrandBill, being the ever goofy grandparent, was teasing with her and her cousin about putting monkeys in their shoes, panda’s in their pancakes and alligators in their bed. Well, guess which one stayed with 3M? Thaaaankkksss GrandBill.
Why do your kids get you up in the middle of the night?
This post brought to you- again- courtesy of Hump Day Hook Up! Click on the pick for more great posts!
Have a great crazy day!